The Darkest Side of Paradise
Navigating the Modern-Day Drug Culture
Curated by Brittany Natale
Opening: Friday, March 24, 7-10 PM
On view Sundays 1- 5 PM through April 16
The Darkest Side of Paradise is a group show navigating the multi-faceted influence of drugs on US culture. Highly stigmatized but easily accessible, drug usage is deeply entrenched in the national landscape - from the opioid epidemic sieging rural counties, to the recent K2 overdoses in Brooklyn, to the overprescribing by the pharmaceutical industry, and beyond. Through paintings, sculpture, prints, installation and film, the artists in this exhibition address the nuanced role drugs and drug culture play in the contemporary American narrative.
Working towards extending the dialogue of understanding, the works in The Darkest Side of Paradise document the personal experience or professional research of artists Priscila De Carvalho, Linda Herritt, Grayson Earle, Matt Greco, Katrina Majkut, Liam O'Brien, Juliana Paciulli and Matt Starr.
The application period for Wayfarers' 2017 Summer Artist in Residence Program is now open.
Apply here or click on the "Studios" tab above for more info.
WAYFARER ACCEPTING STUDIO SPACE APPLICATIONS
Wayfarers is currently accepting applications for one private space membership and several ghost memberships. To be considered for Membership, email a link to your website, or images of your work to: email@example.com.
Dear art person,
The New Year is the perfect time get dedicated:
• Put more time into your studio practice.
• Put more effort into your career as an artist.
• Be more disciplined about making art.
• Engage in art-related conversation.
• Become an active part of a community of makers.
Consider becoming a Ghost Member at Wayfarers. Benefits include:
• Participation in several annual shows (get your work into the world)
• Constructive feedback in group critiques (deadlines = motivation)
• Access to the facilities:
o Full woodshop
o Exposure table and screen printing set-up
o Commons area with kitchen
o Drawing Tables
o WIFI throughout building
• Access to 400 sq foot gallery for photo documentation or installations
• Participation in a collective of thoughtful, inventive artists
• Designated storage for materials / small works in progress
Monthly costs are $100. You’re also required to contribute one hour of service (gallery tending, admin, housekeeping, etc.) per month and tend two gallery shifts annually. We ask for a one year commitment.
To be considered for Ghost Membership, email a link to your website, or images of your work to: firstname.lastname@example.org.